Shrewsbury High School History 

Shrewsbury High School opened in early May 1885 in Clive House on College Hill. Within ten years the School had outgrown its original site, so a new site was found and the present building on Town Walls was purpose built. In 1895 the foundation stone was laid and the school with 105 pupils moved into its new home.

The new building was officially opened by H.R.H. Princess Louise, Marchioness of Lorne, in 1898. On the gable of the porch to the entrance of the main school building is carved in stone the motto of the Girls’ Day School Trust ‘Knowledge is now no more a fountain sealed’.

The School continued to expand, and in 1935 the school’s Golden Jubilee and the retirement of the headmistress were marked by the building of a library. The library was a gift from staff and pupils, past and present and the friends of Shrewsbury High School. A school song was composed for the celebrations.

The Preparatory Department also continued to grow and in 1959 moved to its own site, Shrewsbury Junior High School on Kennedy Road, Kingsland.

In 1960 the school celebrated its 75th Anniversary with a commemoration service at St. Chad’s church in the morning and a school pageant later on. A birthday cake displaying the school badge was shared among the whole school. The school flourished and the 1970s saw the building of a new Hall/Gymnasium and new Science buildings.

To celebrate their 100 years’ anniversary, the school acquired the non-conformist chapel on Town Walls. This building was erected in 1834, is a listed building and so its exterior cannot be changed. However, the interior was altered to accommodate the school and in 1985 it was officially opened by H.R.H. Princess Alice as part of the centenary celebrations. It is now called the ‘ Centenary Building’ and houses classrooms, a home economics room and in 1997 the ‘purpose-designed’ new library transformed the basement.

In 1992 new buildings for Physics, Information Communication Technology, and English were opened by Heather Couper, astronomer and broadcaster.

In 1996 a new Performing Arts Studio was opened, and to celebrate the occasion ‘The Laundry Girls ‘ was performed by Shrewsbury High School pupils. The studio has since seen many successful performances by the school and by visiting theatre groups. Each year an Art exhibition of A-level work is displayed in the studio and opened to the public.

The school continued to expand and in 2000 acquired another property on Town Walls (no.27) which was refurbished to provide more facilities for the sixth form.

To celebrate 120 years, in 2005 we built a new Sports Hall which is called the ‘Kingsland Centre’ and which provides new gym facilities and 4 new classrooms.

Throughout its history Shrewsbury High School has grown to embrace the needs and aspirations of all those in its care and continues to do so. For the most recent developments click here.